“The true character of a society is revealed in how it treats its children.” – Nelson Mandela
A few months ago I received the email below from Stephanie. I emailed her back and she told me the sad story of the abuse she and her two sisters endured at the hands of Baptist pastor William White.
I believe Stephanie.
Additionally, the article states:
- The couple has taken in at least 20 foster children in recent years, according to state records.
- The Rev. White, 50, was in the Lake County Jail with no bail, charged with three counts of sexual battery of a child under age 12, a capital offense.
- Records show the couple – married 28 years – have cared for 20 foster children since 1996.
- White first was accused of sexual battery on Feb. 26. 1999. A 7-year-old girl, who had been living with the family for two weeks, told her natural mother during a visit monitored by social workers that White had molested her.
- Two other girls, ages 10 and 11, subsequently told investigators they had been abused by the pastor, Pallitto said.
- White became pastor of Lake Dora Alliance Church and stayed there until it closed in September 1997. He was hired to head Hillcrest Baptist in October of that year.
- Suzanne Stephens – one of the founders of a Lake County support group for foster families and adoptive families – said she has known White for five years and has always trusted him. It’s possible the children are confused about who molested them, if they were molested at all, said Stephens, who also serves as president of Florida’s Foster Families Association. “I’m not going to stand up and say he did or didn’t do this,” Stephens said. “I do understand how young children have a tendency to make mistakes. I have known that to happen.”
The complete story may be read here.
White only served 5-6 months in prison.
As you can see below, White was acquitted of fondling two of the foster children in his care. He was convicted of fondling the third child but was granted a retrial because of jury misconduct.
Neither Stephanie nor her two sisters testified in the trial. Their mother did not allow them to testify, saying it would just put more stress on them.
Stephanie told me that Susan White has stood behind her husband the entire time. She also told me she and her siblings were in the White’s home from 1995-1999.
Below are the criminal records that I was able to locate on White. I find it rather hard to decipher, but it looks like he spent about one year total in prison.
I am so sorry Stephanie, her two siblings and countless others had to endure the sexual abuse from Baptist pastor William Nathan White. I believe the man to be serial pedophile.
As Stephanie wrote, “Lord forgive me for saying this – he is going to hell.”